Pagina's

20 januari 2013

Coconut hair mask!

While I’m typing the first part of this post, I am smelling like a bounty bar! Yummy! Love the smell of coconut :-) That’s already the first benefit of this easy-peasy homemade mask.

A lot of opinions and statements about coconut oil have been put up on the web about health benefits, heal risks, beauty applications etc.. Some people think it’s the best way to eat healthy, other studies show opposite results. I’m not here to discuss those issues, I just want to try for myself if coconut oil used as a hair mask works for my hair. I’ll do a post about previous hair experiments later, like going no-poo.

Most oils cover the hair strands and therefore act like a seal, keeping the moisture in. Some people say coconut oil is the only oil that is small enough to enter the hair strand and nourish it from the inside. There are studies, web posts, beauty logs pro and con, but I wanted to see for myself!

When you buy the coconut oil, it’s in a jar and looks white and solid. I got mine at the health food store for around 9 euros (12$).

BILD2516

BILD2521

It melts at about 25 degrees, so you can use the warmth of your hands to melt it or put a small amount in a little pot on the heating. Having really cold hands this time of the year, I used the heating method. When melted it becomes liquid (duh!) and clear. Time to put it on your head!

You need:
- Melted coconut oil
- A towel
- Hair clip(s)
- A shower

Best time to do this is when you have no place to go for a few hours, like a lazy Sunday :-). You could leave in the mask overnight, but then I recommend using a shower cap to protect the pillow from getting greasy.
Brush out your hair, put the towel over your shoulders to protect your clothes. Take some of the liquefied coconut oil and start massaging it into your scalp. Take your time, so you cover the whole of your scalp (or you could use someone to do this for you and enjoy the massage!) Next, you tackle the lengths of your hair, gently rub in the oil, especially covering the ends, those tend to get really dry. Put your hair up with the clip and wait… If you want you could apply some heat to your hair, it is said to help the hair to absorb the oil. Leave in the oil for as long as you like, but at least 20 minutes or so.

At the moment I’m at this stage, so I’ll be back when the oil is out :-)


Ok, I’m back! I let the oil sit for a couple of hours (it’s snowing outside, so I’m staying in today!). I used the hairdryer to apply some heat for a few minutes. After washing out the oil (I did need to wash it 3 times to be sure I wasn’t left with greasy hair) I just let it air-dry. You could do your normal styling routine of course!

So, now the all important results! My hair is super soft, shiny and looks somewhat curlier and it’s not at all greasy! Is it a miracle solution for my difficult hair? No, but I wasn’t really expecting that :-) It does look more moisturized, so I’ll be trying it again, maybe it even gets better after more uses?!

Pros:
- The smell! Even after washing my hair, I smell a subtle coconut aroma.
- Instant hand mask in one go, I rubbed my hands, nails and cuticles with the excess oil, let it set a few minutes before washing my hands.
- Super soft, shiny and moisturized hair…
- Cheap.
- Easy!

Cons:
- Oil stains, be careful not to smudge your clothes!
- You have to be sure to wash your hair a few times to prevent oily hair.

Hope you liked this experimental post! I’ll keep you posted about further results :-)

Love, Zjizjipke!

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Ik gebruik ook af en toe een kokoshaarmasker. Wel enkel voor mijn 'staart', niet voor mijn hoofd zelf. Dat heeft vooral te maken met het feit dat ik mijn haar niet met shampoo was; de eerste keer dat ik een haarmasker gebruikte, deed ik het over gans mijn haar, maar zonder detergent/shampoo kreeg ik het echt niet ontvet... Als het alleen de punten zijn, krijg ik het er wel gemakkelijk genoeg uit :-) Eigenlijk zou ik het vaker moeten doen, om dan minder snel mijn punten te moeten laten knippen (en mijn haar sneller te doen groeien), maar goed, daarvoor ben ik er dan weer te weinig mee begaan ;-) (lees: lui)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Ik hoop dat mijn eigen luiheid mij toch toestaat dit regelmatig te gebruiken :-) Binnenkort een postje over mijn no-poo experiment en zo!

      Verwijderen